Friday, May 22, 2009

Congrats to Bob-O!



Yeah this is old news, but it wasn't when I first started typing it.  Guess I've been master ummm I mean pro-crastinating too much lately!  

Back in my college daze in Isla Vista, I remember waking up on the weekends in my DP house filled with beer, used profos, blood splattered on the walls, and some mank myrt sleeping next to me in my bed; when all of a sudden (without fail) somebody would barge into my room at about 10:00 AM and convince me that instead of a morning foam sesh, the best cure for my hangover was to embark on a shralp mission to the surf spot better known as Jalama. 


Some days the luscious waters of Poseidon cured me, some days they didn't and I ralphed all the way there and all the way back. Some days we scored, some days it sucked. Some days I got shacked off my ass and other days I layed on my board in the middle of the ocean having epileptic seizure inducing flashbacks of the freakishness that occurred in my bed the night before. But every now and then, some days we would be blessed with the presence of stellar waves and mega rippers. On one such, occasion I was sitting in the middle of the line up holding my throbbing head and waiting for a set, when out of the corner of my eye, I witness what had to have been a 7 foot high mountain of spray waft its way in my direction (talk about cropdusting!).  As my vision followed the spray, I took a closer look and realized that it was non other than a Mr. Bobby Martinez literally gutting the shit out every wave in his way, needless to say he was killing it!  At that moment I knew the kid had some power, steez, skills, and the other bear necessities that it takes to make it onto the dream tour!

Flash-forward  3 years later... So I'm in the middle of the room filled with broken glass, pieces of a broken door propped up against the window for privacy, and another door off its hinges propped against the doorway when all of a sudden she starts... 
OH CRAP!  DIDN'T FLASH FORWARD FAR ENOUGH!  FLASH FORWARD - 2 more years!  
The Billabong Pro Tahiti 2009 was starting to run out of lay days and didn't look like the swell was going to get monstrous this year by any means, so they decided to make due with what was at hand and throw the final day.  Stand outs during the final day include: Aritz Aranburu, Keg With Legs, Cj Goods, T Knox, Tom Whits, Taj Burrow, and of course our Santa Barbara boy Bobby Martinez.  The final consisted of Bobby and Taj waiting around hoping that they'd be the lucky one to score a good wave that would let them show off their shred and get an excellent score.  It was a pretty close final but Bobby snagged a sick one with a little bit of time to spare.  Unfortunately for Mr. TB, it was not enough time and Bobby came out on top like the true champ he is!  Props to Bobby Martinez on winning the 2009 Billabong Pro Tahiti!  
       
Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment